Saturday 27 June 2009

"Painkillers" again

I think entertainers must be jolly unlucky people. Singing, dancing and acting appear to cause immense amounts of physical pain, requiring the practitioners to be prescribed constant doses of powerful painkilling medications. Not for them a quiet cup of steaming LemSip or a trip to see the burly Latvian masseuse at Madam Fifi's Sauna and Hanky-Panky Parlour, it has to be handfuls of pills or strong liquids injected wherever and whenever a doctor is paid to administer them.

I read this morning that taking pain medication "became part of" the late Mr Jackson's life. He is not the first and he won't be the last. Before Elvis Presley left showbusiness for a career behind the bacon counter at the Co-Op in Barnsley (or wherever he was last sighted) he was said to have been taking vast quantities of prescription drugs, including many to relieve pain. How strange it is to an outsider like me that the weight of a hand-held microphone can cause such stress to the human body that it leaves the performer in constant agony.

Were I a cynic I would probably suggest that many entertainers' painkilling medication is plain old-fashioned drug addiction tailored by skilled medical practitioners to give the thrill that is desired without the risk of criminal penalties. And pain is a wonderful way to achieve this end because it is virtually impossible to disprove someone's claim of pain. "Slacker's back" results in countless idlers being signed off work by doctors who have no means of knowing whether the person in front of them is putting it on - he says he's in agony, he winces and walks with a stick, what's the quack meant to do? He could say "I don't believe you", but on what ground could he form that view? He might be right, he might be wrong, there is simply no way of telling unless positive evidence is unearthed that is inconsistent with the claimed malady. Many years ago I acted in a personal injury case for someone who claimed his right hand was useless as the result of someone colliding with his car. Throughout the necessary medical examinations and during the trial his right arm lay limp at his side and his wife was brought along to take notes for him because he could not write. On securing a tasty sum in damages we were leaving court when he rushed ahead of me, grasped the handle of the heavy courtroom door with his "useless" right hand and pulled it wide open to allow me to pass through. Fortunately no one on the Defendant's side witnessed it. This sort of thing happens all the time in one way or another.

Frankly, I don't care whether people take illegal drugs or not. Many are illegal through historical quirks while other equally potent medicines are readily available within the law. The whole thing is pretty random. If someone takes something and misbehaves as a result, it is their misbehaviour that the law should address. Injesting an illegal substance and then helping old ladies across the road does not seem in the least bit objectionable to me (unless they didn't want to cross the road, of course).

Somehow I think it would be fairer to the memory of the late Mr Jackson for it to be asserted that he was addicted to drugs rather than engaging in the wishy-washy code of "He started taking pain medication. It became part of his life." He would still be dead (subject to there being any vacancies in supermarket delicatessens) but at least people would be honest about him.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you report what you witnessed to the court? If not, I'm afraid that rather confirms my belief that the legal system is basically people who will lie through their teeth for money.

Word verification: fines

Mark Wadsworth said...

"Frankly, I don't care whether people take illegal drugs or not. Many are illegal through historical quirks while other equally potent medicines are readily available within the law. The whole thing is pretty random. If someone takes something and misbehaves as a result, it is their misbehaviour that the law should address."

Exactly!

On the subject of musicians, although they do little physical work, emotionally it is very draining - as Charlie Watts said, since I joined the Rolling Stones, I spent one year playing drums and thirty-nine years hanging around.

Plus you are tied in to appearing at pre-arranged times, even if you are having an off-day, so the temptation/presure to pep yourself up a bit (if you don't, then you lose your job) is irresistible. BTW, this applies to people who play in orchestras just as much.

Rob Farrington said...

I absolutely agree. I have osteoarthritis from a knee injury, and so I have a repeat prescription for industrial strength codeine tablets.

Do I have a legitimate reason for that prescription? Yes. Do I take the pills only when I'm in pain? No.

I'll readily admit that I'm addicted to them. To me, it's no big deal - they make me feel calmer, more relaxed and more confident, and mild opiates generally don't lead to people smashing beer glasses over someone else's head or shouting 'Get your t*ts out!' to the nearest available female.

Jackson was a drug addict, as am I. I'm not a victim of the overprescription of painkillers; I'm the result of the choices that I personally make each and every day.

Jacko made his choices too and if people are going to mourn for him, they should accept that he wasn't a victim, either. He ultimately chose his own path, and anyone who's tempted to hero-worship him should keep that in mind.